Sunday, May 23, 2010

5 Year Well-Child





Matt reading to the boys: aren't Saturday's great?
Favorite pastimes: Thomas figuring out Legos and Nathan on the phone.
Nathan keeps my grocery list up!

The boys had their 5 year well-child checkup this week. Nathan especially was dreading it. I think it was the shots that worried him. I told him he needed shots to go to school. He said that he would just not get the shots, stay home and be home-schooled. He came up with that all on his own. He went as far as to say he wished I had never married Daddy! He must understand that he wouldn't be if we weren't married. Poor guy. The doctor looked at Nathan after Thomas and noticed immediately that Nathan's tonsils are much bigger than Thomas' which led us down the adenoid path. He noticed Nathan's breathing (which is always loud), asked if he snored (which he always does) and if he sleeps with his head in an odd position (yes!). The short story is we're going to the ENT mid-June to get his adnoids checked. Apparently large adnoids lead to sleep apnea which leads to poor performance in school, etc. So, we'll just get them checked. The shots were an ordeal (only two each)! Thomas cried his eyes out which Nathan witnessed. Nathan actually fought us! I thought my kids were braver than this! They did have their hearing tested also. They wear earphones and are directed to point at objects on a board starting at 25dB and decreasing to 15 dB. Thomas heard the 25 and 20dB but was unable to understand at 15dB. Nathan couldn't understand any of the settings but could hear a voice down to 20dB which means he passed. Apparently he has fluid his right ear though not infected but it could of impaired him some. At lunch today he said his ear popped and that he could hear better so I don't know how often he deals with that. Matt says he remembers that happening to him as a kid for long spells.

A few weeks ago, I showed Thomas a man wearing a pink dress shirt thinking that Thomas would like it. He wrinkled his nose and said that was for girls! I think the age of pink is over!

The other day when Matt was leaving, I was noticing his shirt was fitting him better. Thomas pipes up that he noticed too....he thought Matt's feet looked smaller!

No comments:

Post a Comment