Thursday, July 15, 2010

Nathan's Surgery





The first picture was an attempt to show the offending tonsils. The adenoids are up behind his nose, so sorry, no picture of that! The next picture is pre-surgery as we waited our turn at noon-time. The next picture of Nathan on the phone is post-surgery, about mid-afternoon. I noticed even then his voice sounded different....clearer. He was talking to Thomas who was with my parents. The last two pictures show our evening. I was glad Thomas got to see Nathan at the hospital...much easier for him to see it and than to explain all to him. He is doing great today. My biggest problem is that he likes his medicine, so knowing if he needs Tylenol is a little tricky.

Nathan had this surgery because of his breathing not because of continually strep throat which is sort of the other group of patients. I was told the breathing group gets kept overnight so that was our plan. The PA came in though late afternoon and asked if we wanted to go home because he was doing so well. He started with a popsicle in the recovery room and continued to drink soda or suck popsicles all afternoon! Anyways, we were all settled and I really liked the idea that the nurses were there to monitor him all night so I decided we would stay. At 4AM the nurse gave him pain med and antibiotic. At that point the nurse noticed he had wet the bed (no surprise with all he drank and the IV) so I changed him and held him while the nurse did the bed. Nathan commented at how helpful she was. This had to warm the nurse's heart! We had a very good night and were on our way by 9:30. He is taking amoxicelen for 7 days to prevent any infection. He is very stuffed up and the little thing that hangs down in the back of his throat is very swollen from all the working around back there (bumped and jostled during the surgery) so he'll get clearer as time passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment