
We had a nice long night tonight.Thomas is really starting to understand the bottle, and slurps down ~15 to 20ml of milk at each feeding now. The nurse on duty said she thought he'd definately be home in less than two weeks.
Nathan also looked better tonight, although he is still on the CPAP. He kangarooed with me for over 3 hours and sucked on his pacifier for over an hour of it. They tried to take him off today, but it is still borderline. They'll try again tomorrow.
He went for almost a week breathing with partially colapse
d lungs before he got tired and started taking little breaks, called Apnea Episodes. After putting it back on him Monday, they tried to take him off today, but it is still borderline. They'll try again tomorrow. He kangarooed with me for over 3 hours and sucked on his pacifier for over an hour of it.Because, Tommy is learning to suckle, and they've been separated due to Nate's remedial breathing classes, I've spent most of my time (I don't have the equipment for Tommy) with my buddy Nate. He's definately breathing easier and purging the CO2 better with the CPAP. The CPAP is not really a walk in the park though. Picture having two garden hoses hanging off your nostrils and an hot ski cap that has velcro to help hold the garden hoses in place. Now picture you are a rather warm little boy who would like to move your head because the hat is ichy. The hat rotates as you move your head so that the little things that go into your nose start to yank your nose sideways and you feel like a fish on the hook. If you can picture all that, don't you think you might be a little cranky? I would! Well, so is Nate, and I say good for him! He doesn't like to be moved around much (rightly so) but when he does get moved, he has no problem using the CPAP enhanced lung capacity to voice his opinion! He apparently finds that bowel movements
are also painful to his nose as he seems to save up until he is being moved around for times like a diaper change. Being the crafty fellow that he is, he seems to like to emphasize how uncomfortable he is by not releasing until after the old diaper is removed. One time this week, I found out just how necessary those diaper wipes are, and that you need to have more there than you ever expect use. I ran out. The next time, I was more prepared, but we still went through two diapers...
are also painful to his nose as he seems to save up until he is being moved around for times like a diaper change. Being the crafty fellow that he is, he seems to like to emphasize how uncomfortable he is by not releasing until after the old diaper is removed. One time this week, I found out just how necessary those diaper wipes are, and that you need to have more there than you ever expect use. I ran out. The next time, I was more prepared, but we still went through two diapers...
The thing that happened though that I won't soon forget was that Dad seems to have a calming effect on him. Jen was changing him and he started into a fit which pushed him into a Desat (low blood oxygen saturation) and it wasn't until Dad held his hand that he calmed down. That was pretty cool. Thanks, Nate!

Here are the weigh-ins as of Friday evening:
Tommy: 3lbs., 15.8oz. Oooh, so close!
Nate: 3lbs., 10.2oz. The upward march continues.
No comments:
Post a Comment