Friday, October 6, 2006

Trying to Fill Daddy's Shoes


Last weekend, we attended a birthday party. The boys had the rare opportunity to play the drums! As you can see, Nathan looks like a natural and Thomas is trying to figure out how he can reach the cymbals.

The boys want to help! Last Saturday, they helped their Dad move their crib mattress down to the bottom setting. Then yesterday, you can see I had help baking in the kitchen. I found a package of miniature kitchen tools at Hannafords and set them to work with bowls of flour! Hey, everything can be vaccuumed or washed. They were happy and I had a chance to get dinner ready! I can remember a friend of mine from work who has 3 children taught me that one of my requirements as a parent is to teach my children to work. The job will likely not get done as quickly or as well but when it comes to kids, that's not the point. First to teach them the ethic of work, second to teach the task at hand and third to actually get it done! Life is fleeting, their childhood is over in a flash, I want to remember this.

I couldn't resist grabbing a picture of Nathan with his Dad's shoes on!

This is just a guess but Nathan may be left handed. We have both noticed on different occasions that if you hand him something like a tooth brush he'll switch hands so that he is always holding it in his left. It may be to early to tell. In the pictures, Thomas is using the screw driver with his right hand. At the counter, Nathan is stirring with his left hand and Thomas with his right. Just a few observations.

The boys very definitely say: hot, bye bye and Da da but not always on command. Likely they say other words, but we can't understand them, for example Nathan pointed at the milk a few different times at dinner tonight and said the same thing every time....it just didn't sound like milk. Nathan is starting to repeat things if you ask him to. He said Bible and tractor today. Kind of neat to hear him talk. On the other hand, Thomas will just look at you when you ask him to repeat something. It is amazing though, Thomas has the entire conversation routine down. He looks you right in the eye and says a entire string of nonsense, pauses like he's at the end of a sentence and starts up again even ending some with a question mark. I can't wait to find out what he is saying. His little voice is totally adorable.



No comments:

Post a Comment